[netCDF #LWT-937071]: Problems with "make check"/netcdf-4.1.1-rc2 on a 64-bit linux system

Mary,

Oops, I've just been told:

  ... there was a bug in the
  ncdump Makefile.am that was deleting
  some need files (like tst_ncml.c).
  So when you did a make distclean or make clean,
  these files were lost. It is corrected in the snapshot.

So the problem was ours, that if you invoked "make clean" or
"make distclean" and then tried to build again in that directory,
those files would be missing.

Sorry about that.  You can either try rebuilding from the snapshot
of from a new unpacked copy of the distribution ...

--Russ

> > Sorry about the emails on this "make check" business. I feel like I'm
> > missing some fundamental understanding of either building or testing
> > the software.
> >
> > I'm on a 64-bit Linux system, and built netcdf-4.1.1-rc2 against
> > hdf5-1.8.4-patch.
> >
> > The "make check" failed in three places. I've attached the config.log
> > and make check output file.
> >
> > It failed in the same three places that it failed on an older Mac
> > system (I didn't report this one yet, since I wanted to see if I got
> > failures on other systems in the same place).
>
> I see the same missing files from your unpacked distribution in the output
> from "make check":
>
> *** creating tst_ncml.nc from tst_ncml.cdl
> can't open file ./tst_ncml.cdl for reading:
> No such file or directory
> FAIL: tst_output.sh
> *** creating netcdf file tst_calendars.nc from tst_calendars.cdl...
> can't open file ./tst_calendars.cdl for reading:
> No such file or directory
> FAIL: tst_calendars.sh
> *** copy tst_calendars.nc to copy_of_tst_calendars.nc ...
> No such file or directory
> Location: function nc_open; file nccopy.c; line 882
> FAIL: tst_nccopy4.sh
>
> It's hard to imagine how just those two files were missing from unpacking the
> distribution, but that's all I can see from the "make check" output.  Please
> try getting the 4.1.1-rc2 distribution again, this time from this FTP site,
> and
> let me know if the files ncdump/tst_ncml.cdl and ncdump/tst_calendars.cdl are
> there, as they seem to be for me:
>
> ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf-4.1.1-rc2.tar.gz
>
> downloads$ ls -l netcdf-4.1.1-rc2.tar.gz; gmd5sum netcdf-4.1.1-rc2.tar.gz
> -rw-rw-r--   1 russ     ustaff   11256880 Mar 29 16:19 netcdf-4.1.1-rc2.tar.gz
> 8869308b58de7a6c187ebf685cd8fb63  netcdf-4.1.1-rc2.tar.gz
>
> Thanks!
>
> --Russ
>

> Russ Rew                                         UCAR Unidata Program
> address@hidden                      http://www.unidata.ucar.edu

Ticket ID: LWT-937071
Department: Support netCDF