[netCDF #ERR-907485]: Query about suitability of netCDF

Hi Syam,

> I've been exploring file formats for continuously stored data. I
> tried using netCDF and got stuck with the C++ interface.
> My use-case is something like this. I have about 1000 or so analog
> values (pressures, temperatures for example) to be recorded. One
> sample of each of these parameters need to be recorded about every 200
> milliseconds, with time tagging. I was wondering if netCDF will be
> suitable for this.
> I figure the parameters should be 'variables'. Should I use time as an
> 'unlimited dimension' or a 'variable'?

Yes, that seems like the right way to handle your use-case.

> With at the C++ interface, I am unable to write single values to the
> file. It seems that writing arrays alone is supported by the C++
> interface. Is that so? I'm looking for a method to write single values
> of these variables periodically to the file.

The C++ interface supports writing single values.  I've appended an example
program
writes 100 records, with pressure, temperature, and time variables.  The time
variable
is the coordinate variable for the unlimited time dimension.  I hope this
example will
help explain how this works.  There is also a "put_rec" method that can be used
for a
little simpler interface, but it sounds like this is sufficient for your needs.

--Russ

Ticket ID: ERR-907485
Department: Support netCDF