Re: 970210: netcdf installation

>To: address@hidden
>From: "C. NICANNA (GEOLOGY) PG" <address@hidden>
>Subject: netcdf installation

Hi Clodagh,

> I was wondering if you coudl help me out with installing netcdf. I am
> installing it on a Solaris OS with gcc and f77. I have tried to
> follow the INSTALL document but have received the following error
> messages when I try compile.
>
> making `all' in directory /usr/local/netcdf/netcdf-2.4.3/src/port
>
> `all' is updated.
>
> returning to directory /usr/local/netcdf/netcdf-2.4.3/src
>

> making `all' in directory /usr/local/netcdf/netcdf-2.4.3/src/xdr
>

> returning to directory /usr/local/netcdf/netcdf-2.4.3/src
>

> making `all' in directory /usr/local/netcdf/netcdf-2.4.3/src/libsrc
>
> gcc -c -fpic -O -DNO_STDARG error.c
> *** Error code 1
> *** Error code 1
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `error.o'
> Current working directory /usr/local/netcdf/netcdf-2.4.3/src/libsrc
> *** Error code 1
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `libsrc/all'
> cnic@gloria~>make all > log
> error.c: In function `nc_serror':
> error.c:121: number of arguments doesn't match prototype
> local_nc.h:178: prototype declaration
> error.c: In function `NCadvise':
> error.c:194: number of arguments doesn't match prototype
> local_nc.h:183: prototype declaration
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `error.o'
> Current working directory /usr/local/netcdf/netcdf-2.4.3/src/libsrc
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `libsrc/all'

It appears as if there is something wrong with your gcc installation or
supporting "include" files, because apparently the "configure" script
finds that the -DNO_STDARG option is needed with gcc.  But gcc is an
ANSI standard C compiler, so it should not need this option, and our gcc
compiler (version 2.7.2 on SunOS 5.5) doesn't need this option.

If your gcc can't compile the following small test program, then that
would demonstrate the problem, because this is standard C.  If you can
get it working on this, then it may work for building netCDF.  If this C
program is stored in a file named "t.c", then you should see no errors
when you invoke "gcc -c t.c" to compile it.

#include <stdarg.h>
int foo(int bar, ...) {
    va_list     alist;
    va_start(alist, bar);
    bar = (int)va_arg(alist, int);
    va_end(alist);
    return 0;
}

Please let us know if you can compile this, but it still doesn't work
for netCDF.

--Russ