20040728: Trouble installing netcdf-perl

Stephen,

>Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 12:37:37 -0400
>From: Stephen Leroy <address@hidden>
>To: Steve Emmerson <address@hidden>
>Subject: Re: 20040727: Trouble installing netcdf-perl

> I've attached diagnostics for my perl build and perl-netcdf build
> attempts. I have a sneaking suspicion that making the shared object
> library may be an issue as well. I'm trying to build the .so using
>
> cc -shared -W1,soname,libnetcdf.so -o libnetcdf.so.3.5.1  libnetcdf.a
> ln -s libnetcdf.so.3.5.1 libnetcdf.so
>
> but the .so file comes out way smaller in size (5062 bytes) than the .a
> file (953078 bytes). What's the correct way to build the .so file? I've
> also tried "ld -shared ...".

Because of all the ways of building shared-libraries on different
systems, we don't use them -- so you're in uncharted waters, I'm
afraid.

The "make.log" file looked OK.

Did the "make test" succeed?

I suggest not trying to use a netCDF shared-library and building the
netCDF-Perl package using the non-shared netCDF library (libnetcdf.a).
If that works, then you'll know that the problem lies with the
shared-library.

Regards,
Steve Emmerson