20040420: netcdf perl module issues: missing ncopts

Neil,

>Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 09:17:05 -0600
>From: Neil Doane <address@hidden>
>To: Steve Emmerson <address@hidden>
>Subject: Re: 20040420: netcdf perl module issues: missing ncopts

> Thanks for replying so quickly on this issue.  The URL in question is:
>
> http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/support/email_support.php
>
> This form didn't seem to thing that I was entering an email address and
> failing to submit, though there was a valid NOAA email address in the
> appropriate field.

Thanks.  I've forwarded your report to the appropriate person.

> I couldn't find a file with that specific name, but here is the output
> of the make...is this useful?

It's what I wanted.  The file "make.log" is described in step 6, near
the end of the file INSTALL in the top-level source-directory.

> [root@testkick src]# make
> make[1]: Entering directory `/tmp/netcdf-perl-1.2.2/src'
> make[2]: Entering directory `/tmp/netcdf-perl-1.2.2/src'
> cd perl && perl Makefile.PL POLLUTE=0
> Checking if your kit is complete...
> Looks good
> Unrecognized argument in LIBS ignored: '/usr/local/netcdf-3.5.0/lib'

The last line indicates the problem: the reference to the netCDF library
isn't valid.  Consequently, the "ncopts" symbol, which is in the netCDF
library, couldn't be found.

You should start-over from scratch:

    1.  Go to the top-level source-directory.

    2.  Execute the command "make distclean".

    3.  Set then environment variable "LD_NETCDF" to reference the
        netCDF library.  For example

            export LD_NETCDF="-L/usr/local/netcdf-3.5.0/lib -lnetcdf"

        or

            setenv LD_NETCDF "-L/usr/local/netcdf-3.5.0/lib -lnetcdf"

        depending on your user-shell.

    4.  Perform steps 2 through 9, described near the end of the file
        INSTALL.

Please let me know if this helps.

Regards,
Steve Emmerson