20030919: netcdf-perl build problem

Dave,

> To: address@hidden
> From: Dave Sill <address@hidden>
> Subject: netcdf-perl build problem

> Here's the requested info:
>
> A. SunOS datan 5.6 Generic_105181-34 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-250
>
> B. 1.2.2
>
> C. gcc is /usr/local/bin/gcc
>
> D. configure.log

> checking for catman... (cached) catman
> checking for manual-page index command... catman -w -M $(MANDIR)
> checking for perl utility... /usr/local/bin/perl
> checking for perl manual page directory... /usr/local/man
> checking for value of perl POLLUTE variable... 0
> checking for neqn... (cached) neqn
> checking for tbl... (cached) tbl
> checking for cc... gcc
> checking type of operating system... sunos5
> checking for tar flags... -chof
> checking for netCDF header-file... -I/usr/local/include
> checking for netCDF library... -L/usr/local/lib -lnetcdf
> checking for package version... 1.2
> creating ./config.status
> creating Makefile
> creating perl/Makefile.PL
> creating port/master.mk
> creating port/Makefile
> expanding `include's in file `Makefile'
> expanding `include's in file `perl/Makefile.PL'
> expanding `include's in file `port/master.mk'
> expanding `include's in file `port/Makefile'
>
> E. config.log
>
> This file contains any messages produced by compilers while
> running configure, to aid debugging if configure makes a mistake.
>
> configure:593: checking for catman
> configure:635: checking for manual-page index command
> configure:686: checking for perl utility
> configure:694: checking for perl manual page directory
> configure:712: checking for value of perl POLLUTE variable
> configure:759: checking for neqn
> configure:791: checking for tbl
> configure:1132: checking for C compiler
> configure:1186: checking type of operating system
> configure:1263: checking for tar flags
> configure:1279: checking for netCDF header-file
> configure:1306: checking for netCDF library
> configure:1335: checking for package version
>
> F. makefile.log
>
> cd perl && /usr/local/bin/perl Makefile.PL POLLUTE=0
> 'POLLUTE' is not a known MakeMaker parameter name.
> Writing Makefile for NetCDF

I suspect that your version of the perl(1) utility is too old and
recommend that you update it.  The version can be found via the
following command:

    perl -v

Version 5.005003 is known to have this problem.

More information can be found at

    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/msgout?/glimpse/netcdf-perl/131

Regards,
Steve Emmerson