Re: Net CDF for Java - Eclipse Checking IN

Hi Sharon:

1) Almost all content is authored by UCAR employees. Where it isnt, copyright has been left as original. For minor stuff (patches and bug fixes), we rely on ucar's terms of use.

2) We switched to MIT license, the same as netcdf C library uses, 10 or more years ago. Nothing changed since.

3) We use maven to bring in 3rd party dependencies, ie dont distribute 3rd party source code. The sort-of-exception to that is the jj2000 code, used to read JPEG-2000 compressed GRIB files. This is an abandoned project which we put into a Unidata git repository, and have made a few bug fixes on. JPEG-2000 may have submarine patents etc, and its licensing is ambiguous and/or hostile. Its an optional part of netCDF-Java, although GRIB is an important part of why people want to use netCDF-Java. If the jar file is present on the classpath, we will use it. So if you exclude it, you might want to add instructions on how a user could add it back if they choose.

Im cc'ing my colleague Christian Ward-Garrison; you should include him and/or the support email for further conversations.

Thanks,
John