[netCDFJava #ELE-133387]: Trouble opening a netCDF file in ToolsUI

Hi Tom,

If you are still having trouble with this, could you try it in the latest
ToolsUI 4.2 (beta 2)? It is available on the netCDF-Java web page

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf-java/

Make sure the "Add Coordinates" option (the flower pot icon) is turned off.
That may be the setting that is causing trouble. (Yes, there is a ToolsUI
config directory. It is in $HOME/.unidata.) Though I'm not sure "Add
Coordinates" is the problem as it works for me in the Viewer tab whether the
"Add Coordinates" option is on or not.

On the other hand, when I try to open it in the "CoordSys" or "Grids" tabs, the
NsslRadarMosaicConvention still tries to handle it and still throws a
NullPointerException.

OK. I just added a check to the NRMC.isMine() method for two dimensions, "Lat"
and "Lon", that it uses elsewhere in the code. Now if they don't exist, like in
your example file, the NRMC won't claim the dataset as one it knows how to
handle. Though I'm not sure the result, no action or message, is actually much
better than getting a NPException.

Ethan

> Ethan...
>
> Thanks for taking a look -- I still cannot get it to open in the
> Viewer tab...oh well.  I tried toolsUI-4.2.jar as well....not "cref"
> message, but it said "NetcdfDataset.open cant open
> d:\DATA_DRIVE\sarah\test.nc  null"....
>
> ....and "NCDump" still gives the Exception in NRMC...  Interesting,
> though,  that the NRMC thinks it "knows".
>
> For what she is doing, she does not need CF-like stuff.
>
> I did find a copy of toosUI-2.2.18.jar and it was able to open just
> fine in the Viewer and NCDump tabs...something weird is going on
> here....is there a "config file" or something for toolsUI?
>
> tom

Ticket ID: ELE-133387
Department: Support netCDF Java