From: John Caron <address@hidden>
To: Richard Signell <address@hidden>
Cc: David Blodgett <address@hidden>, Roland Viger <address@hidden>, Tom Kunicki <address@hidden>, Nathaniel L Booth <address@hidden>, Unidata netCDF Java Support <address@hidden>
Date: 05/21/2010 07:44 AM
Subject: Re: GDP/NetCDF Spatial relationship trouble.

Hi all:

I think Rich is correctly characterizing the situation. I will add a few details.

Weve been beating on data providers to add better georeferencing metadata to netCDF for a long time. We have managed to get standard CF parameters to describe the ellipsoidal earth, and some datasets use those. In a TDS, such information can be added on the server to correct problems, without having to rewrite the files.

Data stored in GRIB is generally better in specifying this information. We essentially turn it into netcdf-CF "on the fly" when we serve it.

As a rule, we generally don't do reprojections on the server. The exception is the WMS server, developed by Jon Blower, which does. We may eventually do more of this in other services like WCS. Theres no standard way to do this in OPeNDAP, where we just remotely serve the original data.

On a client using the netCDF-Java (aka CDM) library, like the IDV, we have a limited set of projections, but a mechanism for users to add their own at runtime. Of the ones we have, the UTM projection is inherently ellipsoidal, and the Albers and LCC projections use an ellipsoidal earth if the parameters are specified. We recently been made aware that the geotoolkit has been refactored to be easier to reuse than previous versions, so we could get access to their much larger set of projections with some work, that perhaps someone other than us could do.

But if you are using a different client, then you have to evaluate what it can and cant do. ESRI does its own implementation of reading netCDF, not based on the CDM library I think (although we tried to convince them to use it long ago).

"The CF conventions specifies some elements of the coordinate system but it does not state how to include the geographic coordinate system (datum) portion. Because of this, it is always assumed to be the WGS 1984"

is really about ESRI's implementation, and CF as it was 7 or 8 years ago. If you are an ESRI customer, tell them (squeaky wheels!) about what you need from them. Eg, use the ellipsoidal parameters when those are present.

John

http://cida.usgs.gov

http://www.crwr.utexas.edu/gis/gishydro06/SpaceAndTime/SphereVsSperoid2006.htm

http://www.arl.noaa.gov/faq_ms1.php