[netCDFJava #APN-311841]: opening dods url with java library

Hi Luis,

Is the end goal to get a NetcdfDataset object with only the desired variables?
Or is the end goal to get a netCDF file?

If the former, the netCDF-Java library doesn't include a utility for subsetting
an entire NetcdfFile or NetcdfDataset. Of course, it can be used to write such
a utility. Which is, I'm guessing, what you are asking about. So, for that,
your best bet is probably to ask the netCDF-Java user community directly at
address@hidden. [This email came in to address@hidden.]

If the latter, there are a few options. For regular grids, you could look at
the NetCDF Subset Service (NCSS) part of the TDS but it looks like this might
be an unstructured grid? Another option would be to look at NCO (netCDF
Operators), http://nco.sourceforge.net/. I don't know NCO well but I know it
has some very useful operators

Hope that helps,

Ethan

> I want to use the JAVA library to create a NetcdfDataset form a dods
> URL. For example:
>
> http://www.smast.umassd.edu:8080/thredds/dodsC/FVCOM/NECOFS/Forecasts/NECOFS_GOM2_FORECAST.nc.dods?lon[26559],lat[26559],Times[0:1:72],zeta[0:1:72][26559]
>
> I just lean that is not possible to  use such URL directly with the
> java library, but that you have to open the dataset
>
> NetcdfDataset.openDataset("
> http://www.smast.umassd.edu:8080/thredds/dodsC/FVCOM/NECOFS/Forecasts/NECOFS_GOM2_FORECAST.nc";)
>
> and then read each variable.
>
> So has anyone created java code that reads a dods url, extracts the
> URL without the query part and extracts the variables ( maybe using
> regular expression) and creates the java object ?
>
> thanks,
>
> -luis
>

> --
> Luis Bermudez Ph.D.
> Coastal Research Technical Manager
> Southeastern Universities Research Association (SURA)

Ticket ID: APN-311841
Department: Support netCDF Java