Re: long variable name problem inside IDV

Hi Kent, Joe:

Theres no 15-char limit anywhere, the problem is that the opendap/hdf server is
coding a signed byte as a unsigned byte. its actually a limitation of the DAP,
which doesnt have signed bytes.

for more info: <http://scm.opendap.org/trac/ticket/1199>

We have a workaround for now that allows the dataset to be read anyway,
although there may be trouble correctly interpreting the byte variable(s).  the
next 4.0 release will have the fix, youll have to check with the IDV folks as
to their release schedule.

I've recommended that they add signed bytes to the DAP. if they do, the hdf
server would have to be updated to take advantage of that.