Re: RandomAccessFile in 2.2.18

Hi Steve:

The older ucar.netcdf.RandomAccessFile is used by the visad package, which is why it appears in the ToolsUI jar. It is no longer supported, and is not part of the Netcdf-Java library. So you should definitely switch to ucar.unidata.io.RandomAccessFile
For comments of general interest, send to this group (address@hidden).
Otherwise send to address@hidden

Steve Loch wrote:

If you use toolsUI-2.2.18.jar you discover that there are two RandomAccessFile classes but only one in the Javadoc. It would seem (I haven't looked at the source code) that ucar.netcdf.RandomAccessFile might be very similar to ucar.unidata.io.RandomAccessFile which is in the Javadoc.
The former has been around a long time and I was wondering whether I should
convert to using the one in the later package - pretty much mandatory given
that there wouldn't be documentary support for the earlier version. I note it
doesn't support a java.io.File argument constructor. Neither has a setLength
which is in java.io.RandomAccessFile which I would find handy. Also I note that
netcdf-2.2.18.jar, unlike toolsUI, doesn't include the earlier version.

Can someone advise?

Steve Loch
BODC
Web: www.bodc.ac.uk

PS Where's the best location to send comments on the (javadoc) documentation?