Re: M3IO support in 2.2.18

I think the file itself is fine. We only encountered the problem when
we attempted to upgrade to 2.2.18. Opening the file in a prior version
of netcdf with M3IOConvention.factory() worked fine. Unfortunately,
that method no longer exists.

thanks,

Nick

On 2/8/07, Don Murray <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Nick-

Nick Collier wrote:

> I think there may be a problem with the M3IOConvention class in
> 2.2.18. When I open my file with NetcdfDataset.openDataset the
> convention is found but the coordinate axes are never identified. I
> went through the source and it looks like augmentDataset is not
> implemented. My sense is that an augmentDataset implementation would
> call M3IOConvention.constructCoordAxes but I'm not entirely sure what
> else specifically needs to be done. Any help would be appreciated.

The M3IOVGConvention was written by a 3rd party since we do not
have the expertise at Unidata for that convention.  It's been my
experience in the IDV that the problem usually lies in either
an unsupported vertical coordinate, or improperly formatted
Global variables.  The convention parse is pretty specific
on what it expects according to the standard and some M3IO
writers do not adhere to these strict rules.  It could also
be that the file uses a later version of the M3IO convention
than the parser handles.

All the checking is done in the M3IOVGConvention.isValidM3IOFile_
so you could go through that method and see what it doesn't
like about your file.

> Thanks for a great library,

I guess Baron services is now the holder of the M3IO convention
now. It would be a great service to the community for someone
who works closely with the M3IO convention to update the
parser if need be.

Don
address@hidden                        P.O. Box 3000
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/donm