Re: jar bundling query

Hi Stuart:

I recently updated the web page to explain that all jars now need an slf4j
implementation. The problem with bundling is that then the application cant
decide which logger to use. However, perhaps it would be better to bundle it
and let people remove it if they have to??

"All libraries (except toolsUI.jar) require an SLF4J library such as slf4j-jdk14.jar
(14k) or nlog4j.jar (202k). We need to keep logging unbundled so your application has a
choice of logging. All but the minimal library also need (at least) the JDOM library. The
toolsUI jar has everything, use it if you arent worried about size."

Stuart Maclean wrote:
Hi all,

I note that the netcdf-java web page states that 'The minimal library just reads netcdf-3 files'.

Yet if I download the referenced jar, currently ncCore-2.1.18.jar, the ucar.nc2.NetcdfFile class references a class org.slf4j.LoggerFactory in its static initializer. Yet that class is not in the jar. So I am a little perplexed at the claim that this jar is sufficient to 'just read Netcdf 3 files'.

I note also that the file netcdf-2.2.18.jar also does not contain the org.slf4j packages.

So I guess my bigger question is, what are the reasons for the various different jars on the distribution web site?

Any clarifications appreciated

Stuart Maclean