Re: IOSP development inquiry - GOES, SSMI, AVHRR

Hi Ken,

Ken Knapp wrote:
NJ folk-
Some of us at NCDC are working to develop some IOSPs for some data formats available from NCDC and CLASS. We would appreciate any comments and, in particular, if you know of someone doing something similar. The datasets for which we are developing the IOSPs include (and comments are welcome as to whether their IOSP development is worthwhile):

- GOES AREA format
- SSM/I TDR data format
- AVHRR Level 1B GAC data format

I am not aware of anyone else working on these IOSPs. I agree with Don, these will all be great additions. I also agree that we should start thinking about higher level, scientific data types (e.g., grid, image, swath). However, at the IOSP level the main issue is deciding how to map all the data and metadata into the netCDF data model, including the use of any standard conventions (http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/netcdf.html#Conventions).

In searching around, I didn't find much current information on satellite conventions but there is some information from the last NUWG (netCDF Users Working Group) meeting in1995:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/NUWG/satconv.html

including a link to a draft satellite convention and various example netCDF CDL files. Also, AWIPS satellite data is in netCDF and since FSL was involved in the NUWG work that may be a precursor to the current AWIPS convention. This is all I found on AWIPS satellite data:

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/mdl/awips/aifmdocs/sec_4_e.htm

Anyway, nothing definitive on conventions but it is something to keep in mind as you work on these IOSPs.

A few of us will be attending the Unidata Workshop in October, so we look forward to interaction there, but we are interested if these IOSPs are already in development elsewhere.

Great. Lets plan to make some time to talk about satellite data while you are here.

We'll see you then.

Ethan
Thanks in advance for any information-
-Ken

--
Ethan R. Davis                                Telephone: (303) 497-8155
Software Engineer                             Fax:       (303) 497-8690