From: address@hidden
[mailto:address@hidden] On Behalf Of Tom Whittaker
Sent: Thursday, February 09, 2006 2:53 PM
To: Jon Blower
Cc: address@hidden; address@hidden
Subject: Re: how can I open netcdf file in applet?

You are correct.  The applet security model prevents applets fromopening
any connections with "other" host machines.  You have severaloptions: 1.
move the netcdf file to the host from which the applet is loaded2. use a
servlet or serlet-like approach and have the applet talk tothe servlet
(running on your host machine) which in turn reads thenetcdf file3. sign
the applet and set the permissions to allow for connections toother
hosts4. use an application rather than an applet Details can be read at:
<http://java.sun.com/sfaq/> tom

On 2/9/06, Jon Blower <address@hidden> wrote:>> Dear Monica,>>
I'm not absolutely sure, but I think the problem lies with the security>
model of Java applets.  I don't think you're allowed to load any data
from a> remote server, except for the server that is hosting the applet
itself.  Try> loading a netCDF file from your web server - it will
probably work.>> Regards,>> Jon>>
Blower              Tel: +44 118 378 5213 (direct line)>  Technical
Director         Tel: +44 118 378 8741 (ESSC)>  Reading e-Science Centre
Fax: +44 118 378 6413>  ESSC                       Email:
address@hidden>  University of Reading>  3 Earley Gate>
Reading RG6 6AL, UK>
--Tom WhittakerUniversity of Wisconsin-MadisonSSEC/CIMSS1225 W. Dayton
StreetMadison, WI  53706  USAph: 608-262-2759