Support for large files

Hi,

we are using NetCDF files for the server-side data management in our
meteorological workstation project called "NinJo". NinJo is completely
written in Java, therefore we are using the NetCDF library for Java.

As the grids used for numerical weather prediction gets huger
and huger (currently 385 x 325 x 45 x 73 floats, ca. 1.6 GB) we are
approaching soon the limit of 2GB file size.

Are there plans to support files larger than 2GB with NetCDF for Java
as for C/C++ etc?

If not, are there easy workarounds to circumvent this limit?

Thanks

Bruno Zürcher
MeteoSwiss