Member access privilege problems

FYI - I sent this to netscape.dev.security:

I am trying to use the netcdf package within an applet,
and security issues arising in this package are
preventing it from using the java.lang.Class package,
even though I seem to have requested the
UniversalMemberAccess privilege.  In more detail:

The thrown exception is:

netscape.security.AppletSecurityException: security.member access

The relevant part of the stack trace is
  at netscape.security.AppletSecurity.checkMemberAccess(Compiled Code)
  at java.lang.Class.checkMemberAccess(Compiled Code)
  at java.lang.Class.getDeclaredConstructor(Compiled Code)
  at ucar.netcdf.AbstractNetcdf.VariableCtor(Compiled Code)
  at ucar.netcdf.AbstractNetcdf.<init>(Compiled Code)
* at ucar.netcdf.NetcdfFile.<init>(Compiled Code)

(Though I have requested UniversalMemberAccess, it seems
that it should not be needed, as
java.lang.Class.getDeclaredConstructor is
a public method?)

My calling code is:

        try {  // This must be in the same block?
          netscape.security.PrivilegeManager.enablePrivilege(
                "UniversalFileAccess");
          netscape.security.PrivilegeManager.enablePrivilege(
                "UniversalMemberAccess");
          appendLine("Netscape privileges obtained.");
        }
        catch (NoClassDefFoundError ex){appendLine("NoClassDefFoundError");}

        catch (Exception ex){appendLine("Exception");}
        File netCdfFile = new File(sliceDir, fileName);
        nc = new NetcdfFile(netCdfFile,
                                true, // clobber an existing file
                                true, // prefill variable values
                                schema // metadata template