[McIDAS #JAV-781741]: McIDAS-X on Windows or Linux

Hi Kwan,

re:
> This morning, I recall that it may have something to do with the Windows
> file permissions not setting correctly in parts of the hard disk partition
> after I have reinstalled Windows 10.
>
> Before I reinstalled VMware tools, I got an I/O error when access to
> /mnt/hgfs was attempted by the df command.
>
> /mnt/hgfs: Input/output error
> Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
> /dev/sda2        77G   57G   17G  78% /
> tmpfs           937M  284K  937M   1% /dev/shm
> /dev/sda1       283M   53M  215M  20% /boot

Interesting.  I would have assumed that this had something to do with
the setup inside of your VM, but evidently not.

re:
> Getting back to the boot failure that I experienced, I took out the hard
> drive and connected it to another working Windows 10 laptop that I have in
> an attempt to download the data files to my external hard drive before
> trying to reinstall Windows.  It took more than an hour for the working
> laptop to reset to file permission before it could do the file transfers.

Very interesting indeed.

re:
> After I put back the hard disk and reinstalled Windows, I got file
> permission errors when trying to read some parts of the hard disk (not
> exactly sure where).

Did you Google this situation?

re:
> I guess VMware would skip mounting /mnt/hgfs if it had encountered the file
> permission error.  Can I manually try mounting it and see what happens?

I don't think there is any way to manually mount a Windows file system;
VMware Tools handles that for you.

re:
> What would be the command?  I have saved the data in an external hard
> disk.  Do I need to run a mount command to access it in CentOS?

No, you need to configure the Windows directories/disk that you want to show
up in the VM in configuration part of VMware Player, and then make sure that
the VMware tools are configured.

The VMware command for configuring VMware tools is:

vmware-config-tools.pl

re:
> Thanks again,

No worries.