[McIDAS #JAV-781741]: McIDAS-X on Windows or Linux

Hi Kwan,

re: Windows 10 getting corrupted

> Yeah.  I am not sure what happened.  I suspect that it might be caused by a
> virus while surfing the Internet in Windows.

What antivirus package are you using?  Just curious...

re:
> Thanks to your lead, I was able to find the CentOS virtual machine in an
> archived Windows file directory.  I was able to run it and it appeared to
> work fine so far except when I issued df -h, it could not find /mnt/hgfs.

The ability to mount Windows file systems in the virtual machine is
controlled by VMware Tools.  Every time the kernel gets upgraded in
my CentOS 6.9 virtual machine, I need to rerun the configuration script
that is part of VMware Tools to restore the mounts.

re:
> I suppose this is because the new Windows installation assigned the "My
> Documents" directory to a different path.  How should I correct this?

Find and run the VMware Tools configuration script as 'root' inside of
your virtual machine.

re:
> df: `/mnt/hgfs': Input/output error
> Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
> /dev/sda2        77G   57G   17G  78% /
> tmpfs           937M  284K  937M   1% /dev/shm
> /dev/sda1       283M   53M  215M  20% /boot
>
> The next thing I tried was to move CentOS into Program Files (x86)
> location.

I am not sure why you tried this as it is not necessary.

re:
> When I tried to open it in VMware Player, it terminated with the
> following error.
> [image: Inline image 1]
>
> When I moved it to C:\, this error went away.

The VM image(s) are not Windows executables, so they really don't
belong under the Program Files directory hierarchy.  VMware Player,
on the other hand is a Windows executable, so it is likely that
you will find it under that hierarchy.

re:
> By the way, are you using Windows 7 or 10?

I am still using Windows 7 on my Dell Studio 14 laptop since it runs
great, and it is still fully supported by Microsoft.  I tried upgrading
to Windows 10 (after duping my system disk so I had an easy backout
strategy), and it did not support my Bluetooth card, so I reverted.
I bought a replacement WiFi/Bluetooth card with the intention of
upgrading what I have, but I simply have not gotten around to doing
the upgrade.  My current thinking wrt upgrading to Windows 10 is
why bother -- my laptop is now over 7 years old, and I will probably
buy a new one in the not too distant future, so why not simply wait.

Ticket ID: JAV-781741
Department: Support McIDAS