[McIDAS #FEA-590731]: lightning display in McIDAS-X

Hi Dave,

re:
> I have someone interested in McIDAS-X and they are asking about lightning
> data.

Which lightning data?  Unidata university sites can get both the NLDN
and USPLN (NAPLN, GLN) data feed to them via the LDM/IDD point-to-point
by UAlbany and WSI (aka The Weather Company which is now owned by IBM),
respectively.

re:
> Quick question:
>
> Do you have an example McX display of lightning data you could send me,
> that I could pass along?

I have attached a FRMSAVE capture of USPLN lightning (negative flashes
in yellow and positive flashes in cyan) over North America.  The plot
represents all flashes between 0 and 22:38 UTC today, 20170523.

If you would rather have a display of flashes over radar imagery, let
me know and I will generate one (probably over the southeast U.S. as
that seems to be the place for lightning today).

re:
> Or, do you have a MD file of the data and I'll
> put together a simple display?

Let me know if the display is what you had in mind, or if you are
interested in something more interesting.

re:
> Thanks in advance,

No worries.

Ticket ID: FEA-590731