[McIDAS #VSG-323612]: Navigation error when plotting image beyond a certain dimension

Hi Kwan,

re:
> When I come to think of it, it seems a bit odd that only the navigation is
> confused when the plot dimension is too large, while the image itself is
> displayed correctly.

The size limitation is somewhere in the MAP program code or in a routine
that it calls.  The limitation on size of an image that can be displayed
is in the IMGDISP program and/or include file(s) included.

re:
> In any case, what I was trying to accomplish was to
> display surface obs. onto the large U.S. radar image at 1km resolution.  I
> specified a larger size than the radar domain so as to cover a bit more
> into ocean.

OK.

re:
> Since it is beyond the capable size, I tried to plot the
> surface data using MAG=-2.

Surface data?  the MAG= keyword is used by the IMGAGE commands, not
commands that plot POINT data.

re:
> However, the data appear too dense even with
> DEC=YES.  That's why I would like to see if I could specify a data density
> factor for de-cluttering.  But I do not seem to find such a factor in the
> manual.

As far as I know, there is no external control on the decluttering algorithm.
That being said, the approach taken for decluttering is _supposed_ to thin
out the stations being plotted so that new new value overwrites an existing
one on the display.  I am very surprised that this would not work.  In
most cases, users want to plot more values even if they will overwrite each
other by a bit, not visa versa.

re:
> Thanks again,

No worries.