[McIDAS #MUB-377647]: Converting MciDAS to NetCDF navagation issue

Hi Dave,

re:
> Thanks for your reply.

No worries.

re:
> The GOES area file is in a native satellite projection.
>
> Here is  the output from the McIDAS imglist command:
>
> imglist mydata/images form=exp
>
> 4120  G-8 IMG       23 AUG 98235  23:02:00    28   73
> Band: 4    10.7 um Surface temp; longwave window     4.88  2.34   674 x 1076
> proj:    0 created: 2016284 202331  memo: RT GVAR
> type:GVAR     cal type:RAW
> offsets:  data=    3328 navigation=  256 calibration= 2816 auxiliary=    0
> doc length: 228   cal length:   0   lev length:   0 PREFIX= 232
> valcod:  235230200 zcor:  0 avg-smp: N
> start yyddd: 1998235  start time:230226  start scan:  377
> lcor: 3777  ecor: 13449  bytes per pixel: 2  ss: 70
> Resolution Factors (base=1):   Line=    4.0   Element=    4.0

OK.

re:
> - I am not sure what the projection of the NetCDF file received from NOAA.

The projection in the netCDF file you downloaded from NOAA/CLASS is the same as
the original.  The navigation is specified in 'lat' and 'lon' arrays.

FYI: I created a netCDF version of the AREA file you attached, and it is
virtually
identical to the netCDF file you downloaded from NOAA/CLASS.  This tells me that
those folks used McIDAS-X to create the netCDF file.

re:
> - From the images that I have plotted, it looks like AreaToNetCDF.jar appears
> to remap
> the areafile to a MERC projection.

I would be surprised by this.  Can you create GIFs from the full netCDF files
you got from NOAA/CLASS and AreaToNetcdf.jar and send them to me?

re:
> I have attached the McIDAS AREA file gotten from NOAA.  I have also put the
> relevant
> NetCDF files as well as a couple of blown up images onto a web page.  You can
> download
> the file from there.
>
> http://www.atmos.albany.edu/facstaff/vollaro/mcidas.html

Gotem, thanks.

re:
> There is also an animation  which highlights what seems to be a 1pixel shift
> N+W.

Yup, I see the shift.  I think that seeing visualizations of the full area of
coverage represented in the NOAA/CLASS netCDF and AreaToNetcdf.jar netCDFs
will shed more light on what has or has not been done by AreaToNetcdf.

Question:

- what is the reason for using AreaToNetcdf.jar when you already have a netCDF
  from NOAA/CLASS?

Comment:

- you could use McIDAS-X to create netCDF files of the images you want and
  remap them to suit your needs

re:
> Thanks again for looking into this.

No worries.