[McIDAS #PMR-133644]: ADDE transfer of nexrad composite

Hi Russ,

re:
> Thanks for the quick reply.

You caught me on a good morning :-)

re:
> I've tried the following servers
> ATM.UCAR.EDU
> ADDE.UCAR.EDU
> These 2 servers time out waiting to complete an IMGLIST
> NEXRCOMP/1KN0R-NAT request.

I just displayed the most recent image from the NEXRCOMP/1KN0R-NAT dataset
from my McIDAS-X session running on my home machine (a single board Odroid
U3 quad core ARM machine running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS), and each display took
less than 5 seconds.  After that, I did a full listing
(IMGLIST NEXRCOMP/1KN0R-NAT.ALL) of the same dataset on both adde.ucar.edu
and atm.ucar.edu, and these took about 2 seconds to complete.

re:
> I can get this to work from most machines
> but the one where my script is running (wmsserv2.ssec.wisc.edu) is
> showing this error. I am wondering if I may have been blacklisted for
> trying to get too many files? The other possibility is the machine might
> be hosed and needs a boot.

Hmm... to my knowledge we have not blacklisted (blocked) _any_ machines
from access to the ADDE servers we run on our motherlode-class machines
recently.  The full set of the machines I am referring to is:

adde.ucar.edu
atm.ucar.edu
adde.ssec.wisc.edu
lead.unidata.ucar.edu

To make sure that a block has not been implemented that I don't know
about, I just sent an email to our lead system administrator, Mike Schmidt.

re:
> I also tried the local server IDD.SSEC.WISC.EDU
> That yields a totally different failure "error generating list of
> files". It looks like the setup on IDD is hosed.

idd.ssec.wisc.edu and adde.ssec.wisc.edu are a Cname aliases for
unidata2-new.ssec.wisc.edu.  As I said in my previous email, there
is something strange happening on this machine, and investigations
are underway.

re:
> I'm wondering what you get if you try an IMGLIST.

I can do IMGLISTs of all NEXRCOMP datasets from my McIDAS-X session
running on my home machine.  This tells me that there is nothing
systematically wrong with ADDE on three of the 4 machines listed
above:

adde.ucar.edu
atm.ucar.edu
lead.unidata.ucar.edu

adde.ssec.wisc.edu, on the other hand, is experiencing problems, and
we are investigating.

(A bit later)
I just got this from Mike:

"I have not made recent changes to ADDE access (that I can recall anyway)
on the motherlode clones..."

Given this, and given that I am able to access all of the populated ADDE
datasets on three of the four motherlode-class machines listed above, I
have to believe that the problem is on your side.

Question:

- what happens when you try to 'telnet' to the ADDE port on these machines?

  For example:

telnet adde.ucar.edu 112

Ticket ID: PMR-133644
Department: Support McIDAS