[McIDAS #OWS-342844]: Global lightning data

Hi Kwan,

re:
> The newly installed McIDAS appears to work fine.  One question that I have
> is: do I need to create a local ADDE linux account in order to access
> remote ADDE servers?

No.  Creation of the 'mcadde' account is only needed if you intend to
serve local ADDE datasets to remote clients.

re:
> I am interested in the availability of global lightning data via ADDE
> servers.  After a brief Google search, it appears that access to the
> lightning data is restricted.  Is that the case?

Yes, use/distribution of both NLDN and USPLN lightning data is restricted
by the providers of those data.  U.S. Unidata universities can get a free
point-to-point LDM/IDD feed of either/both datasets, but they have to agree
that the data will not be made available in any form outside of their campus.
Any other use of the data will jeopardize the free availability of the data
for all of those Unidata universities.

Ticket ID: OWS-342844
Department: Support McIDAS