[McIDAS #FIS-581939]: Geocolor enhancement table

Hi Kwan,

re:
> I have just looked into the COMBINE command.  From what I can understand,
> it is a screen/frame memory addition/subtraction method, and the resulting
> product is saved as an image graphic file (e.g. GIF).

Correct.

re:
> Can it be saved as a McIDAS AREA file?

No, not that I am aware of.

re:
> I have some McIDAS AREA files which I know are Geocolor images.  In this
> case, I would need an enhancement table in order to display the images with
> the proper geocolor map, right?

Yes, but I know of no way to store a RGB image in an AREA file.  Colorization
of images stored in any of the image formats supported in McIDAS (e.g., AREA,
GINI, NEXR, etc.) is accomplished via association with an enhancement, but
the result will not be anywhere close to the images you found on the CIRA
web site.

Back to one of your earlier questions: we do not have a "geocolor" enhancement.

Since I am not familiar with CIRA's "geocolor" technique, I did a Google (tm)
search and found a number of hits the first of which was informative:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjQiqmhyPrMAhVIVlIKHUwpDLsQFggfMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fcimss.ssec.wisc.edu%2Fgoes_r%2Fproving-ground%2FCIRA_Proving_Ground_Products.pdf&usg=AFQjCNGGS9xuIPU0QohT51J_z7mAuEDcfg