[McIDAS #WZN-876254]: Windows 10 and McIDAS-X

Hi Kwan,

re:
> I am wondering if you have tested running McIDAS-X in Windows 10 together
> with the Virtual Machine.

Yes, I tested this when I upgraded my Dell Studio 1458 laptop from Windows
7 to 10 at the end of December.  I didn't run in this configuration for
too long as Windows 10 did not recognize my Bluetooth adapter, and I was
unable to completely uninstall the Bluetooth-related "stuff" that had
been installed.  Since I had cloned my Windows 7 disk, I simply reverted
back to Windows 7.

As for my impression running McIDAS under CentOS 6.7 x86_64 inside of
VMware Player while running Windows 10, I saw essentially no performance
change from my Windows 7 environment.

re:
> For your information, my experience with
> McIDAS-X running in Windows 8 soon degraded last year because there was
> always a background process "tiworker.exe" that had caused excessive hard
> disk access while the Virtual Machine and McIDAS-X were running.  Do you
> have any idea about this problem?

No.  I did not have your experience.

A quick Google (tm) search using 'tiworker.exe' as the search key showed that
others have been having issues with tiworker.exe under Windows 8.x.  For
instance:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-performance/windows-8-high-disk-usage-caused-by-tiworkerexe/69b54d4d-ecb0-456a-a2c2-8b3deb211af6?auth=1

My search did not show any complaints from users running Windows 7.

re:
> I was thinking that perhaps upgrading to
> Windows 10 might help but I would like to see if you have tested it in
> Windows 10 first.

I am not sure that I ran under Windows 10 long enough to be able to
assure you that things will work for you.

Question:

- did you do a web search similar to the one I refer to above and try
  to take any of the corrective actions that various people were
  suggesting?

Comment:

- you may find it useful to do what I did:

  Clone your current Windows system disk (I used Clonezilla); replace the
  current disk with the clone; and then upgrade the cloned disk to Windows 10.

  If performance is worse, you can always revert back to your Windows 8
  environment by replacing the clone with the original disk.

re:
> Thank you again for your insights.

No worries.

By the way, I will be upgrading to Windows 10 again once I uninstall all
Bluetooth-related software in Windows 7; replace the WiFi and Bluetooth
adapters with the combined WiFi-Bluetooth adapter that I bought for about
$25 and is known to be recognized by Windows 10; and then get the new
WiFi and Bluetooth setup working in Windows 7.

Ticket ID: WZN-876254
Department: Support McIDAS