[McIDAS #ISR-476232]: Local Data Question

Hi Justin,

re: using REDIRECT to specify where files should be read/written

> I just gave it a try.
>
> For starters, I am using mcidas as user <awips>.

OK.  What user you are should have no effect.

re:
> I created a folder at "/home/awips/satellite" and provided 775 permissions.

Very good.

re:
> Then I added DSSERVE
> DSSERVE ADD MYDATA/IMAGES AREA 1 9999 "scratch data
> AKA ADD MTSAT MYDATA/IMAGES
> AKA ADD SATEPS PUB/MTGLOB04I2
> REDIRECT ADD IMAGES "/home/awips/satellite

REDIRECT is used to tell McIDAS where to read and write files, not
ADDE dataset descriptors.  What you need to do is:

REDIRECT DEL IMAGES
REDIRECT ADD AREA* "/home/awips/satellite

The resultant files from an IMGCOPY will be an AREA file that
follows the AREA file naming rules:

AREAnnnn

where 'nnnn' is a 4-digit decimal number that ranges from 0001
to 9999:

AREA0001, AREA0002, ..., AREA9999

re:
> IMGCOPY SATEPS MTSAT.1 SIZE=ALL.
>
> It says it transferred area data outbound and says IMGOPY:done.

OK, an image was created in the MTSAT dataset at position 1.
This means that AREA0001 was created in the directory either
specified in a REDIRECTion definition or in the first writable
directory in the MCPATH defined for the user running the IMGCOPY
command ('awips' in your case).

re:
> I checked the directory and don't see a file listed.

Change your REDIRECT invocation and then rerun the command
and verify that AREA0001 was written to /home/awips/satellite.

Ticket ID: ISR-476232
Department: Support McIDAS