[McIDAS #KXY-614160]: What are the plans for the Japanese Satellite

Hi Fred,

re:
> I received the following from NESDIS:
>
> "Hi Fred,
>
> Due to significant resources required, our management decided
> not to host H-8 McIDAS data on SATEPSANON.  If you wish to acquire
> H-8 data and have a real-time need, please fill-in the attached
> Data Access Request Form and then submit to email address:
> address@hidden.
>
> When received, we will review your request with management and
> get back to you on a decision."

It is not surprising that they have decided to not host H8 data on
satepsanone given that the AIX machine is now pretty old, lacks the
disk resources to keep a reasonable number of hours of the data, and,
most especially, because SSEC no longer supports McIDAS-X on AIX.

re:
> I have sent in a request to access the H-8 data.  We will see
> how it is received.

It seems to me that they will be getting a number of requests like
this given their decision to not host the data on their publically-
accessible ADDE server.  Given this, they may be more open to granting
access to individuals that may not be approved for some of their
other servers (e.g., the one hosting realtime METEOSAT data).

re:
> Might UNIDATA consider hosting an ADDE server for foreign satellite
> data in addition to the two GOES servers?

I would love to do this as I view it as an important service for the
community.  Right now, we do not have the computing resources to
bite off the H8 data, so some other option needs to be investigated.
We are in "low level" talks with Amazon Web Services folks about
moving all GOES-R data up to AWS in as close to real-time once GOES-R
has been launched and is declared to be operational.  Given the
similarity of the H8 data to GOES-R, and given what I perceive to
be the keen community interest in H8 data (we are receiving H8-related
emails from a number of folks in the Unidata community), AWS may be
interested in hosting the H8 data.  That being said, AWS is not interested
in developing and/or providing the value-added access to data that
they host (reference the NEXRAD Level II archive that is being moved
to S3 buckets as part of the NOAA Big Data project).  Instead, they
are looking for folks that want to operate (and, of course, pay for) services
in AWS.  In order to explore this opportunity (I see AWS' interest as
a clear opportunity, and I have contacted SSEC to express my belief
that they should see this as an opportunity also), we (Jeff Weber and
Mohan Ramamurthy) will be meeting with AWS folks at the AGU Fall Meeting
in San Francisco next week.  We foresee that there will be a follow-on
meeting at the AMS Annual Meeting in New Orleans in January.  What may
come out of these meetings is still unclear; stay tuned...

Ticket ID: KXY-614160
Department: Support McIDAS