[McIDAS #KXY-614160]: What are the plans for the Japanese Satellite

Hi Fred,

re:
> December 4 has arrived and the Japanese have turned off the
> MTSAT-2 data.

Yup.

re:
> I do not see Himawari-8 data on PUB.

Evidently, SATEPS has not decided to host the Himawari-8 data on satepsanone
yet.
This is not surprising given that the machine might not have enough resources
(disk, RAM, etc.) to be able to serve the Himawari data, AND because the
OS that the machine is running (AIX) is no longer supported as a viable
McIDAS-X platform by SSEC.

re:
> You mentioned that the Himawari-8 ADDE definitions have been created, but
> were empty.

Yes, they were at one point, but I think I remember checking the
ADDE server subsequently and seeing that the definitions had been
removed.  This was probably a reaction to my pointing out that
the dataset definitions had been created but the datasets were
empty.

re:
> What are the ADDE dataset definitions for the Himawari-8 data?

I can't remember what they were.  If you run:

DSINFO IMAGE PUB

you will see all of the datasets that are defined.

Given the apparent reluctance to host the Himawari-8 data on satepsanone,
it may be best to get access to the machine where the data is being hosted.
I think I sent you one of the SATEPS messages about this previously, but
if I did not, or you can't find it, I will send it again.  I am not sure
how hard getting access to the machine will be.  A long time ago, NOAA
required some sort of "relationship" (active collaborations, etc.) before
setting up access to their non-public ADDE servers.

Ticket ID: KXY-614160
Department: Support McIDAS