[Miscellaneous #UFF-250801]: GOES east & west geotiff files

Hi Derek,

re:
> We had some delays the past few days, so I haven't had a chance to install
> MCIDAS just yet.

OK.

re:
. However, I will get to it soon, and I will pursue getting
> this set up on Frank's lab computer upstairs as well.

Very good.  The biggest piece of advice I can give you to help
smooth the installation of McIDAS is to follow the instructions
for the 'mcidas' user in the Unidata McIDAS-X/XCD User's Guide:

Unidata HomePage
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu
  Software -> McIDAS
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/
    Documentation
    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/#documentation
      user guide
      http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/current/users_guide/toc.html

The section in the User's Guide that I am referring to is:

Chapter 1 - Installing and Configuring McIDAS-X
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/current/users_guide/InstallingandConfiguringMcIDAS-X.html

  Installing McIDAS-X on Unix or Mac OS X Workstations

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/current/users_guide/InstallingMcIDAS-XonUnixorMacOSXWorkstations.html

    Preparing the mcidas Account

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/current/users_guide/PreparingthemcidasAccount.html

re:
> I meet with Frank
> tomorrow.  Is there anything in particular that I can ask him about his
> current set up to facilitate figuring out what command lines we would need
> to add to also get the global composites and convert them to geotiff's?

The first thing is to make sure that the LDM on Frank's machine is REQUESTing
the UNIWISC data stream.

The next thing is to make sure that he is including current UNIWISC (aka MCIDAS)
processing actions in a LDM pattern-action file.

Next, McIDAS-X needs to be installed on Frank's machine running the LDM.
NB: The ~mcidas/bin directory should be readable/executable by the 'ldm' user.

Next, figure out where Frank prefers to write the GeoTiff files that will be
produced.

Finally, I will give you the pattern-action file action that should be run
AND a shell script that the action will run to produce the GeoTiff files.

re:
> Thanks again,

No worries.

Ticket ID: UFF-250801