[Miscellaneous #UFF-250801]: GOES east & west geotiff files

Hi Derek,

re:
> Sounds great!  My Linux is a little rusty, but I should be okay.

Very good.

re:
> I think tomorrow would be a perfect time to get things going.

OK.  I have a CentOS x86_64 (64-bit) 6.1 image that I can put on our FTP
server for you to download.  A 'yum update' done as 'root' will update this
to the latest CentOS 6.x release (6.7) nicely.

re:
> I was just browsing, and it looks like this is the real (trustworthy)
> website for downloading VMware:
>
> https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/downloads
>
> If this is the correct source, which version did you install (I have Windows
> 7)?

Unless UMichigan has a site license for VMware Workstation, I recommend that
you install VMware Player.  Player is free for non-commercial uses, and it
may fit with your project.

re:
> I'll take it one step at a time to ensure a correct set-up.

Broadly, the procedure is:

- download and install a VMware product

  Again, I recommend Player

- bring up the Linux Virtual Machine

  We use RedHat version of Linux, so I recommend CentOS which is the
  freeware version of RedHat Enterprise.

- start Player and start the virtual machine which you have downloaded

  Before actually starting the VM you should setup some configuration
  parameters like how many vCPUs (virtual CPUs) how much memory to
  allocate to your VM; if you want to make Windows folders available
  in your Linux VM; etc.  All-in-all, it is not too hard.

- boot up your VM

- login as 'root' and setup the users you want

  I recommend setting up 'mcidas' and 'ldm' (optional) accounts.

  I'll have to check to see if the VM image I have already has these
  setup.

- update your Linux installation

  With RedHat Linux variants, you would simply run 'yum update' as 'root'.

- install packages needed to build McIDAS-X/XCD and the LDM

  I will send you the 'yum' command to run.

- login as 'mcidas'

  Download the latest McIDAS-X distribution

  Build McIDAS-X

- login as 'ldm' (optional)

  Download, build and install the LDM (again, optional)

That's enough for now.  Please let me know if you want me to make the
CentOS virtual machine available to you by FTP.

Ticket ID: UFF-250801
Department: Support McIDAS