[Miscellaneous #UFF-250801]: GOES east & west geotiff files

Hi Derek,

re:
> I'm going to talk with our IT folks today about how they would like to set up
> McIDAS-X
> (either on one of their linux machines, or a machine upstairs).

OK.

re:
> In the meantime, my
> supervisor asked me to confirm the latency for these global composites-- do
> you know how
> often we can get an update for this composite (you may have told me and I
> forgot)?

The WV (Water Vapor, nominally 6.5 um) and IR (thermal Infrared, nominally 10.7
um)
images that we distribute in the Unidata-Wisconsin datastream are available
every
three hours.  These composites are created from the originals that University
of Wisconsin
(UW) Space Science and Engineering Center (SSEC) creates every hour (NB: not
every
component of the composite are updated with hourly rapidity) in a much higher
resolution.
We agreed to reduce the resolution (both temporal and spatial) for images we
redistribute
in the IDD; this was done so as to not jeopardize SSEC's funding to create the
products (the belief is that the folks paying for the image creation would not
continue to pay if the data was made for free, and we agree).

Question:

- what is the real objective in getting the data

  What I mean is if this is a long-term effort, or is this a project that
  will end in the foreseeable future?

  Is this project considered to be operational (meaning that you are looking
  for some sort of a guarantee that the images were be available and be timely)?

Ticket ID: UFF-250801
Department: Support McIDAS