[McIDAS #JAV-781741]: McIDAS-X on Windows or Linux

Hi Kwan,

re:
> I restarted the xinted, and saw these messages:
>
> sh ./mcinet2009.sh install mcadde
> mcinet2009: /etc/services: mcidas already set up
> mcinet2009: xinet: Using xinetd.d to set up services
> mcinet2009: /etc/hosts.allow: mcidas already set up
> mcinet2009: /etc/xinetd.d/mcidas: modifying file
> ./mcinet2009.sh: line 714: [: too many arguments
> mcinet2009: xinetd mcidas configuration installed successfully
>
> I suppose './mcinet2009.sh: line 714: [: too many arguments' is harmless,
> right?

Correct.

re:
> In your last paragraph, you mentioned accessing the remote ADDE server from
> outside
> of the laptop.  I am not sure I really understand what you meant.  Would
> you explain it further, please?

If everything you intend to do with McIDAS-X will be done as the user 'mcidas'
in the VM, then you don't need to setup the remote ADDE server at all.

If you want to access ADDE datasets defined by 'mcidas' by a user other than
'mcidas' in the VM, it is easiest to setup the remote ADDE server and then
access the datasets by running a series of DATALOC commands that point at
the remote ADDE interface, but this is not the only way of accessing the
data.  The other user can also define ADDE datasets and then access them
as LOCAL-DATA.

If you want to run something like the IDV in Windows and access ADDE
datasets defined by 'mcidas' in the VM, you will need to make sure that
transactions on port 112 are enabled in the firewall setup in the VM
for users in the local network defined in Windows and the VM for the
VM.  This happens when the network mode setup for the VM is NAT.

If your laptop is on a wide(r) network, you can setup your machine
to allow external users to access the ADDE datasets defined in your
VM.  In order to do this, the firewall in Windows needs to be setup
to allow inbound access on port 112 AND I think that the firewall
in the VM needs to be setup to allow inbound access on port 112.

One use case for the last item would be if you left your laptop
connected to the Internet and you wanted to be able to access the
ADDE datasets defined in the VM from somewhere else.  In this case,
your machine's external IP address would have to be public, and
it would have to allow traffic on port 112, and your Windows firewall
would have to allow inbound traffic on port 112 and the firewall
in your VM would have to allow inbound traffic.

If you do not anticipate ever accessing ADDE datasets defined in
your VM from the Windows side of your laptop, and if you intend
to do all of your McIDAS-X processing as 'mcidas', then you do
not need to have the remote ADDE server setup or active.

re:
> Thanks again,

No worries.

Ticket ID: JAV-781741