[McIDAS #JAV-781741]: McIDAS-X on Windows or Linux

Hi Kwan,

re:
> I got to this step to add new user mcidas, "Specify group ID manually - set
> this as the group ID for the group you created."  On the previous step, I
> have changed the group name to Unidata while keeping Group ID as 500.  So
> now when I tried to set the last line "Specify group ID manually" to 500, I
> got an error saying "The gid 500 is already in use".

Hmm...  This is unexpected by me.  I wouldn't worry about it since
you can set this manually outside of the GUI (I am assuming that you
know how to use the 'vi' editor):

<as 'root'>

vipw            <- runs 'vi' on the /etc/passwd file

-- find the 'mcidas' user and change its group to '500'

   The /etc/passwd entry for 'mcidas' will look something
   like:

mcidas:x:501:501:Unidata McIDAS:/home/mcidas:/bin/bash
          ^   ^_ group id
          |_____ user id

   Change the '501' group ID to '500':

mcidas:x:501:500:Unidata McIDAS:/home/mcidas:/bin/bash

   While you are at it, change the group ID for 'mcadde' to '500'.

- when you exit out of 'vi' saving your changes (':wq' or 'ZZ'),
  you will be told that you should edit the password shadow file
  by running:

  vipw -s

  Run this and make sure that there are entries for both 'mcidas'
  and 'mcadde'.

After doing this, check the user and group ID settings for both
'mcidas' and 'mcadde':

id mcidas
id mcadde

The outputs from the 'id' commands should look like:

[root@localhost ~]# id mcidas
uid=501(mcidas) gid=500(Unidata) groups=500(Unidata)
[root@localhost ~]# id mcadde
uid=502(mcadde) gid=500(Unidata) groups=500(Unidata)

> Hi Tom, Are these set correctly?
> [image: Inline image 2][image: Inline image 1]

You can leave 'mcidas' and 'mcadde' in the 'users' group if you like,
or you can change both to be in the 'Unidata' group.  The command
line way of doing this is the 'vipw' commands I listed above.

Ticket ID: JAV-781741
Department: Support McIDAS