[McIDAS #JAV-781741]: McIDAS-X on Windows or Linux

Hi Kwan,

re:
> The Linux update finished about 5 minutes after we got off the phone.

Very good.

re:
> change the password of user, do I do 'su user' and then 'passwd'?  It asked
> me for '(current) UNIX password:'

If you are logged in as 'root', you should be able to change the password
of any user _without_ first being prompted for the existing password for
the user.

re:
> Should I call you to continue?

I don't think that this is necessary.

If you restarted your virtual machine after the update process finished,
you are now ready to:

- create a group for users you will add to your system

- create users in your system

- install the packages needed to build McIDAS-X

- install the packages needed to build GEMPAK (if you want to install GEMPAK)

- download, build and install McIDAS-X

The easiest and most understandable way for a novice Linux user to
create new groups and users is:

- login as 'root'

- select System -> Administration -> Users and Groups

  I would select Add Group first.  If I were doing the installs of Unidata
  code on my own machine, I would create a group named 'Unidata'.

  After you have created the group you want to use for Unidata software
  installations (e.g., 'Unidata'), click on Add User.  From the GUI
  that will be presented, you will need to specify a few things:

    user name (e.g., 'mcidas')
    full name (e.g., 'Unidata McIDAS')
    password
    login shell

  I would set the Home Directory /home/mcidas
  Uncheck the Create a private group for the user !!!
  Specify group ID manually - set this as the group ID for the group you
created.

  You will have to do the same thing for the user 'mcadde', but for 'mcadde' you
  want to set the Login Shell to /sbin/nologin, do not create a home directory,
  rather set it as /home/mcidas, do not create a private group for 'mcadde',
instead
  set its group as the same one as for 'mcidas'.

- as 'root' install packages needed to build McIDAS-X

  <as 'root' run>
  yum install gcc-gfortran gcc-c++ byacc flex ncurses-devel libXt-devel
libXext-devel xinetd
  yum install xorg-x11-fonts-misc xorg-x11-fonts-100dpi xorg-x11-fonts-75dpi

  If you want to install the LDM, run:

  <as 'root'>
  yum install libxml2-devel

Check back with me when you have worked through the above.  You are very close
to being
finished!

Ticket ID: JAV-781741
Department: Support McIDAS