[McIDAS #JAV-781741]: McIDAS-X on Windows or Linux

Hi Kwan,

re: where did you see the SSD prices?
> I saw those deal on paper advertisements from Microcenter (I went to a
> local store in Rockville).  The 250 GB SSD is BX100 SATA III 2.5" Internal
> SSDs.  The brand appears to be "Crucial".  I am attaching a snapshot of the
> ad for you.

OK, thanks.  I do not know anything about the Crucial SSDs, so I can't
make any comments on how good/bad they may be (but their memory products
are first rate).

re:
> After your recommendations, I think I will just purchase the Toshiba
> laptop.

Sounds good.

I recommend that you make sure to do some Google searching to see what
peoples reactions to that particular model are before buying.  Sometimes
one can find out about endemic problems with a particular machine by
reading a number of reviews and looking for common themes.

re:

> I will likely need your help later on to set up the virtual
> machine.

OK.  Just so you know, we installed VMware Player on a visitor's
Windows 8.1 laptop and setup a CentOS 6.6 x86_64 virtual machine
in about a half an hour.  This included running 'yum update' to
bring the VM's CentOS 6.4 (or was it 6.5) OS up to date.

Ticket ID: JAV-781741
Department: Support McIDAS