[McIDAS #JAV-781741]: McIDAS-X on Windows or Linux

Hi Kwan,

re:
> Here is a screen capture of the Task Manager.  It appears to indicate only
> dual core.

Thanks.  Aside: I think that the Windows 7 Task Manager displays are much
easier to interpret than Windows 8.x.

re:
> I can give the IDV performance test a try.

How well the IDV runs should give us a benchmark measure that can be used
to judge whether or not a VM will run well.  At the same time, I can tell
you that my first experience with running a virtual machine under VMware
Player was on my Acer Aspire One netbook that was (and still is) running
32-bit Windows XP.  My Aspire One has one of the first Atom processors
and only 1.5 GB of RAM.  The fact that I could run McIDAS-X and the LDM
inside of my Fedora 9, 11 and 13 virtual machines on my netbook should
indicate that you should be able to do the same on your laptop.  Your
experience may not be as good as mine on my current Dell Studio 1458
laptop (I7, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, 2 GB ATI graphics), but it should be
workable.  And, if you are thinking of upgrading to a new laptop, your
experience should be as good or better than mine.

Ticket ID: JAV-781741
Department: Support McIDAS