[McIDAS #GXL-741119]: Re: McIDAS #JTG-722928

Hi Justin,

re:
> Could you provide an example of a scheduler entry?

I see from a follow-up email that you have found examples of SKE invocations.

re:
> Can this be entered on
> the command line or do I need to actually go to Information > Scheduler
> Entries to add it?

All McIDAS programs are run from the command line.  The GUIs provided
(the Unidata GUI is MCGUI; the SSEC GUI is GUI) simply gather information
from the user and put together the command line(s) for the program(s)
to be run and then run them.

re:
> I looked at SKL HELP and it indicated I should have a beginning ID and
> ending ID number (how are these chosen?), keywords and matchstring.

You can assign an ID to a scheduler entry, or you can let McIDAS choose
one for you.  To begin with, I would let McIDAS do the choosing.

re:
> I was
> trying to find more information regarding it, but I have not found much
> unless you know of additional resources.

The User's Guide sections on the programs that comprise McIDAS is the
definitive source for information for the programs.

re:
> No sooner do I send you the email and I find examples.

Been there; done that :-)

re:
> I would like to run
> the command you sent me every hour or half hour to update the image loop.
>
> Would this work?
>
> SKE 90000 0 999999 "IMGDISP PUB/MTGLOB04I2 1 ALL=1 10 LATLON=14 -128 MAG=2
> SF=YES REFRESH='EG GRA=(GRA);MAP FILE=OUTVHPOL GRA=(GRA)'"

Hmm... The syntax for SKE is:

SKE day time repeat int <keywords> "command

The first positional parameter needs to be the date in a format that McIDAS
understands (you can see what formats McIDAS understands for various "things"
by running ARGHELP.  Right off, I don't see how '90000' represents a day.
One can specify today's date in McIDAS as:

2015093                  - yyyyddd  where yyyy is CCYY and ddd is the Julien
day of the year
2015/04/03 - yyyy/mm/dd  - where mm is the month number and dd is the day number
2015-04-03 - yyyy/mm/dd  - where mm is the month number and dd is the day number
04/03      - mm/dd
etc.

Again, the output from ARGHELP shows all of the day formats that are
understood/valid.

So, let's say that you wanted to run the IMGDISP command at 0 UTC starting
tomorrow:

SKE 04/04 0 999999 "IMGDISP PUB/MTGLOB04I2 1 ALL=1 10 LATLON=14 -128 MAG=2
SF=YES REFRESH='EG GRA=(GRA);MAP FILE=OUTVHPOL GRA=(GRA)'

Let's further say that you want to run the same command every 30 minutes
starting at
the same day/time as the previous example:

SKE 04/04 0 999999 00:00 "IMGDISP PUB/MTGLOB04I2 1 ALL=1 10 LATLON=14 -128
MAG=2 SF=YES REFRESH='EG GRA=(GRA);MAP FILE=OUTVHPOL GRA=(GRA)'

Let's say that you want more flexibility on specifying a set of commands to be
run.  I would
create a McIDAS BATCH file that contains the program(s) to be run:

- in the user's McIDAS working directory (defined in the MCDATA environment
  variable

% cd $MCDATA
% vi MYIMAGE.BAT and add the following lines:

ERASE G 1 10
IMGDISP PUB/MTGLOB04I2 1 ALL=1 10 LATLON=14 -128 MAG=2 SF=YES EU=IMAGE
MAP FILE=OUTVHPOL MCOL=4 GRA=1-10
MAP LALO -2 INT=5 5 GRA=1-10

Now, run the BATCH file from the scheduler with:

SKE 04/04 0 999999 00:00 "BATCH MYIMAGE.BAT

See the scheduler entry:

SKL

> Examples
>
> *SKE 97240 13:30 2 24:00 ID=3003 "IMGLIST GOES/VIS.ALL*

Here 97240 is the year 1997 and Julien day 240 (satellite meteorologists like
to think in Julien days).

re:
> This entry runs the command IMGLIST GOES/VIS.ALL at 13:30 UTC on each of
> two consecutive days (97240, 97241). The assigned ID for reference is 3003.
>
> *SKE #Y 09:05 999999 3 PROJ=7777 "SFCLIST KSTL OPTION=PRECIP*
>
> This entry runs command SFCLIST KSTL OPTION=PRECIP every three hours every
> day beginning with the current day at 09:05 UTC.
>
> *SKE 98001 0 999999 1 "RUN "PTABLE MID$(TIME$,1,2), "HOUR"*
>
> This entry runs the specified RUN command every hour, on the hour,
> beginning with day 98001 at 00:00 UTC. The RUN command sets the value of
> the string HOUR to the current hour for use in commands like PTDISP and
> PTLIST.

Yup.  The last example uses the MCBASI scripting language; RUN runs MCBASI
and PTABLE and MID$() are MCBASI constructs.

Now, back to your original question about which IMGDISP invocation you
would run.  If you want to update an image loop instead of redisplay
it, you would use a different IMGDISP invocation, one that employs the
CYCLE or SEQ keywords.

NB:

- all McIDAS commands are composted of the same elements and follow a
  regularized syntax:

command name that is followed by
zero or more positional parameters that is followed by
zero or more keyword parameters that is followed by
zero or one quote field - this begins with a '"' (shifted quote) but does not
have a training '"'

Ticket ID: GXL-741119
Department: Support McIDAS