[McIDAS #JAV-781741]: McIDAS-X on Windows or Linux

Hi Kwan,

re: CentOS 6.1 VMware image that I have

> How large is the file?

I think that it is about 900 MB.

re:
> Perhaps it can be shared through Google Drive?

I think so.  Let me see if I can find the image (I accidentally left my
external hard drive at home this morning) and upload it.  If/when this
is accomplished, I will send you an email letting you know that it is available.

Comments:

- the good news about testing the VM approach is that you can simply throw
  the VM away and uninstall VMware Player if you decided that you do not
  want to go this way

  I do _NOT_ think that you will decide to not take advantage of the VM
  approach.

- if I were you, I would invest in some more RAM for your laptop

  I have no idea how much your machine supports, but it should support
  at least 8 GB of RAM, and 8 GB of RAM should only cost about $40-$50.

- I would also seriously consider upgrading to Windows 8.1

  You mentioned that your laptop is running Windows 8.  My experience is
  that Windows 8.1 is much more robust than Windows 8.

Questions:

- what CPU does your laptop have?

  E.g., Intel I3, I5, or I7, etc.

- what video card does your laptop have?

  E.g., ATI (AMD) and version or Nvidea and version or Intel built-in
  and version.

- how much and what kind of hard disk does your laptop have?

  E.g., 500 GB of 7200 rpm HDD, 1 TB solid state, etc.

  Our experience is that machines run much faster with a solid state drive
  than with spinning media.

Ticket ID: JAV-781741
Department: Support McIDAS