[McIDAS #JTG-722928]: installation error

Hi Justin,

re:
> I was able to do a clean make and install of McIDAS-X.

Excellent.  I assume that this was done by following the steps that
I sent in my last email?  I ask this because my experience is that
the build goes smoothly once the needed environment variables are
defined and needed packages are installed.

re:
> My current issue is the environment variable. I am trying to start mcidas
> from the "awips" user account.

The Unidata McIDAS-X User's Guide has a section on setting up a
user's account to be able to run McIDAS.  Did you follow those
instructions?

re:
> When I invoke the "mcidas" command, I get the following error.
>
> [awips@localhost ~]$ mcidas
> Error in startup script: couldn't open "MCGUISTART.BAT": permission denied
> while executing
> "open MCGUISTART.BAT w+"
> (procedure "startMcidas" line 65)
> invoked from within
> "startMcidas $optn"
> ("0" arm line 3)
> invoked from within
> "switch $nargs {
> 0 {
> readMcidasrc "$home/.mcidasrc"
> startMcidas $optn
> }
> 1 {
> if { !([string match "confi..."
> (file "/home/mcidas/bin/mcidas" line 678)

Part of the instructions for running McIDAS is that each McIDAS user
will/must have a McIDAS working directory.  This directory will be
~mcidas/workdata for the user 'mcidas' and ~user/mcidas/data for
all other users.  In order to work, the working directory must exist
and be writeable by the user.

Did you create the mcidas/data subdirectory structure for the user
'awips'?

re:
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/support/help/MailArchives/mcidas/msg03291.html>,
> so I attempted to follow the same procedure.
>
> Here is a copy (below) of the configured ".bash_profile' of awips. I
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/current/users_guide/ConfiguringaNewUserAccount.html#22412

The instructions for each user are to source the environment definition file
that is part of the Unidata McIDAS-X distribution:

Configuring a New User Account
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/current/users_guide/ConfiguringaNewUserAccount.html#22412

The strong recommendation is to add the following to one's shell-specific
definition
file:

MCHOME=/home/mcidas
export MCHOME
if [ -e $MCHOME/admin/user_env.sh ]; then
  . $MCHOME/admin/user_env.sh
fi

Adding the environment variables individually is OK if one is an
old hand with McIDAS.  Adding the above snippit (and removing all
other McIDAS-related defines) is the best way to accomplish what
needs to be done.

Yesterday evening you offered that I could SSH to your machine to
take a look around.  Does this offer still stand?  If yes, please
send me the name of your machine in one email and the password(s)
for the relevant account(s) in another email that makes no reference
to the machine's name.  Send both emails to address@hidden.
Once I have the login credentials, I will SSH to your machine
(from my Unidata workstation, gale.unidata.ucar.edu) and see if
everything is setup as I think it should be.

Ticket ID: JTG-722928
Department: Support McIDAS