[McIDAS #DFW-897570]: I can't get to the McIDAS download page

Hi Jim,

re:
> I can't get to the McIDAS download page.  I’m logged in, but when I click
> on the link I get a
>
> Forbidden
>
> You don't have permission to access /downloads/mcidas/index.jsp on this
> server.
>
> message.

The reason for this is that license we have to distribute the Unidata release
of McIDAS-X/XCD restricts us to U.S. universities, foreign universities in
which the software will be used by students in pursuit of a degree, and
by sites that are members in good standing of the McIDAS User's Group (MUG)
that the owner of the software (University of Wisconsin (UW) Space Science
and Engineering Center (SSEC)) operates.

Your situation may be a bit different from the norm: your email address
is from noaa.gov, but your signature block indicates that you are
affiliated with NCSU.  It is likely that you used your NOAA affiliation
when you registered with the Unidata web site (true?) and/or listed
your affiliation as being governmental (true?) in that same registration.

Comment:

- if your intent is to use McIDAS-X as a NOAA entity, then your NOAA
  group would need to be a current member of the MUG

- if your intended use of McIDAS is part of your apparent university
  affiliation, we may be able to add you to the list of users with
  non-.edu email address that we are permitted to give access to

Since your situation seems to span both the .edu and .gov worlds,
we may be required to ask SSEC for a reading on if we can give
you access to our distribution of McIDAS-X/XCD

I apologize for the difficulties you are experiencing in getting
access to Unidata McIDAS, but our hands are tied by our license
agreement with UW/SSEC.

Ticket ID: DFW-897570
Department: Support McIDAS