[McIDAS #IQX-347243]: Serving Archive Point Data from the SSEC Openarchive

Hi Marty,

re: access to SSEC's archived, decoded POINT data

> Yes, this would be very useful indeed if I can get it to go.

We will get this to work.

re:
> They didn't
> say anything about  a THREDDS server, just access via ADDE using PTCOPY.

OK.

re:
> I was hoping to access the data using IDV's point chooser, but this didn't
> work.

We will have to work through the procedure(s) to learn what is off.

re:
> What I was able to do was load in GOES imagery from any date, and
> then save it off via IDV's "Make Data Source Local". So that is really
> cool.

OK, good.  It is really easy in McIDAS-X to copy (IMGCOPY) imagery from
remote servers and save the results locally in McIDAS AREA files (or netCDF
files).  This is the way that I create local image datasets all of the time.

re:
> There was some older real-time data in there that I did indeed overwrite.
> As I'm away on sabbatical, our data streams aren't being monitored.

OK.

re:
> When I
> tried to create a new dataset definition and then run PTCOPY, it gave me
> "Can not copy into file masked datasets". I had issued:
>
> dsserve.k ADD MYDATA/PTSRCS MD TYPE=POINT
> DIRFILE=/data/ldmdata/casedata/sandy/point  \"All point source data files
> in MD file format
>
> which ran successfully.
> Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

The problem is that McIDAS does not know how to write into a POINT file
using a user-specified name; it only knows how to write into MD files.

re:
> Once I get the data copied into a new
> directory, how does IDV know where to pick it up?

As far as I know, the IDV only knows how to access the POINT data from
an ADDE server.  This means that you will need to:

- copy the data from the remote ADDE server into a local dataset
  on the machine running McIDAS-X

- access the data in the IDV from the ADDE server that is serving your
  local data

re:
> Thanks again,

No worries.

Here is what I just did in McIDAS to create a local, archive SFCHOURLY
dataset:

<as 'mcidas'>

cd $MCDATA

dsserve.k ADD ARPTSRC/SFCHOURLY MD 3000 3010 RT=N \"ARCHIVE SFCHOURLY POINT DATA

This creates the POINT dataset ARPTSRC/SFCHOURLY whose data holdings are the
files MDXX3000 - MDXX3010, inclusive.

I then copied the entire day of data from a couple of days ago into the
first position of this dataset:

ptcopy.k RTPTSRC/SFCHOURLY ARPTSRC/SFCHOURLY.1 DEL=YES SEL='DAY 343;TIME 0 23'
Created new destination position for writing data
  The new dataset contains 72 rows
Done writing, number of records transferred:  152632
PTCOPY - Done

I then plotted the 12Z temperature data from this dataset in a McIDAS session:

SFCPLOT T NA 12 343 DAT=ARPTSRC/SFCHOURLY

Now, the part that I do not know now to do is tell the IDV to get data from
this dataset. I need to touch base with Yuan or Don Murray to learn how to
do this/see if it is possible.  Yuan is at the AGU meeting in San Francisco
at the moment, so this might take a few days.

Ticket ID: IQX-347243
Department: Support McIDAS