[McIDAS #FHN-163718]: Need help installing McIDAS on VM

Hi Gilbert,

re:
> Well, as I figured, I ran into a snag installing
> McIDAS on a VM. Hardly anything was installed, and the cryptic error
> message in the message log in the McIDAS install program means I have no
> idea what is going wrong. Can you help?

Sure.

re:
> If so, you'll need to log into weather, and then login into
>
> ssh -l mcidas -pxxxx vm-weather3.admin.niu.edu
> ssh -l mcidas -pxxxx vm-weather.admin.niu.edu

Hmm... I was able to SSH to the two machines directly from my
Unidata workstation.  Just an FYI!

re:
> Login and passwords
> for LDM and McIDAS are the same as the non-VM's. I want McIDAS-XCD on
> both.

OK.

Here is what I have found so far:

- LIBPATH was defined in the 'mcidas' environment

  I unset the LIBPATH environment variable before diving into
  a McIDAS (re)build.

- not all packages needed for a McIDAS build were installed

  I installed:

  byacc
  flex

  xorg-x11-fonts-misc     <- for mctext
  xorg-x11-fonts-100dpi   <- for McGUI
  xorg-x11-fonts-75dpi    <- for McGUI

For completeness, here are the packages I found that I had to install
on _my_ CentOS 6.4 x86_64 machine:

Development
--------------------------------------
gcc-gfortran
gcc-c++
byacc
flex
ncurses-devel
libXt-devel
libXext-devel

ADDE
--------------------------------------
xinetd

Fonts
--------------------------------------
xorg-x11-fonts-misc     <- for mctext
xorg-x11-fonts-100dpi   <- for McGUI
xorg-x11-fonts-75dpi    <- for McGUI

For LDM 6.11.x
--------------------------------------
libxml2-devel

set SELINUX to disabled and reboot

create /etc/init.d/ldmd
chkconfig --add ldmd

For RAMADDA
--------------------------------------
tomcat6

Right now, I have started a fresh McIDAS build:

<as 'mcidas' AFTER installing needed packages (see above)>
unsetenv LIBPATH

cd ~/mcidas2009/src
make clobber
make all

I am waiting for the build to finish.  Since I have seen no errors,
the next step will be:

make install.all

After building on vm-weather3.admin.niu.edu, I will turn my attention
to vm-weather.admin.niu.edu.

Ticket ID: FHN-163718
Department: Support McIDAS