[McIDAS #ABG-678484]: netCDF and McIDAS

Hi Brice,

re:
> You're probably not the exact person to ask this question, but maybe
> you can direct it to someone that might be able to give me a hint of
> trail to follow.

Ready...

re:
> We're up-converting to RHEL 6 and McIDAS 2012 and we've run into a
> puzzling issue concerning our in-house decode to NetCDF.  Since 2003 we
> have been pulling BUFR point forecast files from NCEP and converting
> them to netCDF here and then serving them via McIDAS ADDE for in-house
> and the Cape Canaveral Air Force weather group.  One of our team hacked
> the netCDF code, version 3.6.2, a little to add a character string
> length and made a minor mod to the SSEC ncdfks server and we've been
> running fine.

I assume that you are aware that SSEC and Unidata McIDAS come bundled
with a newer version of netCDF than 3.6.2.  Given this, it may be necessary
for your team member to re-hack the netCDF code that McIDAS routines
link against.

re:
> However, after we migrated the code to RHEL 6 64-bit we
> ran into an unexpected glitch.  The ncdfks server fails with a
> 'Dimension mismatch' error.

This sounds like either a 32 bit/64 bit problem (improperly declared
variable, etc.) or linking against a different releases of netCDF
than you think you are linking against.

re:
> The strangeness is that if I take one of
> the converted netCDF files and put it on a RHEL 4 32-bit system, the
> ncdfks there, (ours or the unmodified SSEC version) does not fail but
> gives good data.

This really does sound like a 32 vs 64 bit issue somewhere.

re:
> I've looked into the ncdfks code some (although it's in C and that's
> not my best language) and I've sent samples and corresponded with the
> MUG, but they confess to being puzzled as well and not possessing the
> highest of expertise in netCDF.  They suggested that I contact you
> guys.  So I'm still going slowly through the code, but if something
> rings a bell about the 32-bit vs 64-bit oddity to you or someone up
> there, I would appreciate any ideas.

I am willing to take a look to see if anything jumps out at me.  What
I would need to do this is:

- list of code that your team member modified in the first place

  And the source for the modified routines.

- one or two example datasets (BUFR files and converted netCDF files)

I don't know exactly when I could get to the snooping, but I am willing
to try when I get a chance.

Ticket ID: ABG-678484
Department: Support McIDAS