[McIDAS #PIR-584729]: McIDAS Research Questions

Hi Rod,

re: I commented:
> Once you have a grid of effective radius values, you can display the
> values on top of a radar reflectivity display that is close to the same
> time as the effective radius image.  By doing this in McIDAS, you will
> be able to really see the juxtaposition of effective radius values
> and radar reflectivities.
>
> I grabbed the NEXRAD Level 3 images for GWX for the times that seem to be
> of interest to you some time ago and made them available via the ADDE
> dataset LEVEL3/N0R in your account on iset2:

You asked:
> Also to juxtapose these images do you use IMGFILT?

No, I was thinking that you would plot contours of RICE on top of the base
reflectivity image that is closest to the time of the IR and effective
radius images.  Here is one example of how to do this:

First, since you are used to using LOC as an ADDE group, I created
a dataset named LOC/N0R whose content is all of the NEXRAD Level III
base reflectivity images that are also available in LEVEL3/N0R.

NB: the lines labeled REM are comment lines for a BATCH file; they
are not executable

REM
REM Display the NEXRAD Level III base reflectivity image that
REM is within a 5 minute block centered on 20:25 UTC
REM

SF 6
ERASE F
IMGDISP LOC/N0R ID=GWX TIME=20:22 20:27 EU=BREF SF=YES
MAP LALO -2 INT=5 5 STATE=MS AL GA COUNTY=ALL MCOL=8
MAP FILE=OUTVHPOL MCOL=1

REM
REM Next, plot contours of RICE created in a previous step
REM on top of the NEXRAD Level III image
REM

GRDDISP LOC/GRIDS.1000 GRID=1 NAV=C CINT=5 POWER=-1 FORMAT=F5.1 COL=7 DASH=NEG

The other thing that can be done (although it is likely not needed), is
remap the radar image into the projection of the IR/effective radius images.

Sorry for not remembering that one of the things that you were doing in
your BATCH file was recreating Dan Lindsey's plot...

Ticket ID: PIR-584729
Department: Support McIDAS