[McIDAS #CRZ-518318]: Verification if I am running the commands and displaying the stats appropriately

Hi Rod,

re:
> Just want I am doing this correct or not. If not, where's the mistake?
>
> So what did to draw the box to do the statistics as seen on
> research3.png picture was I wrote this:
>
> > DID AN IMGPROBE LIST POINT OF THE FOUR CORNERS OF THE BOX FROM 4 SPECIFIC
> > LAT/LON VALUES:
>
> IMGPROBE LIST POINT MODE=N LATLON=34.664021 88.133850
> IMGPROBE LIST POINT MODE=N LATLON=34.661209 87.323639
> IMGPROBE LIST POINT MODE=N LATLON=34.171467 88.191185
> IMGPROBE LIST POINT MODE=N LATLON=34.190990 87.358696

Very good.

re:
> Then I used the file coordinates which were:
>
> Upper left corner of the box: 61/124
> Upper right corner of the box: 61/155
> Lower left corner of the box: 71/119
> Lower right corner of the box: 71/150

Question:

- how is the image displayed with IMGDISP?

  What I mean is what is the MAG= magnification factor(s) used?

The reason I ask is if MAG= is greater than 1, then there is
not a one-to-one mapping between TV pixels and image pixels
(either image or file coordinates).  If MAG=1, then no worries.

re:
> Then to determine the size which is defined as number of lines and
> elements defining a region centered at the cursor position; use this
> keyword only with a BOX region; see the Remarks regarding even number
> values for line and ele (default=cursor size), I did the following:
>
> Subtract the upper limit and lower limit of the line and elements to
> get the size of box.
>
> 71-61 = 10 .....LENGTH OF LINE
> 155-119= 36...LENGTH OF ELEMENT
>
> Sorry I messed up on the research3.png where it says SIZE=10 26, it
> should be 36.

OK.  All will be OK if the image was loaded with IMGDISP with MAG=1.

re:
> Now would it be appropriate to place ULEFT with the file
> coordinates 61/124 and then use SIZE=10 36 from the upper left corner?

No, not according to the way I read the HELP for IMGPROBE.  Here is
the HELP lines for the SIZE= keyword for IMGPROBE:

   SIZe=line ele | number of lines and elements defining a region centered
                   at the cursor position chosen with the BOX region; not
                   valid with the LINE or POINT regions (def=cursor size)

Notice that it says that the region is defined _centered_ at the
cursor location.  Given this, I would move the cursor to the center
of the region of interest (box that you are defining) and then
run IMGPROBE.

re:
> IMGPROBE STAT BOX OUTLINE=YES COLOR=2 MODE=N LINELE=61 124 F
> PLACE=ULEFT SIZE=10 36 EXCLUDE=0 1-184

Question:

- does the outline of the box correspond to what you want?

  If not, it is likely that the HELP IMGPROBE explanation for
  the SIZE= keyword is pointing out why there is a difference.

  If yes, the HELP IMGPROBE explanation for the SIZE= keyword is
  not accurate.

Since it is just as easy to position the cursor in the center
of the box as it is to position it at the upper left, I would
switch to centering it so you don't have to worry about using
the capability correctly.

Hint:

- the PC command is used to Position the Cursor (hence the name
  PC)

  PC can be told to position the cursor in any of the three
  coordinate systems, Earth (i.e., Lat,Lon), Image, or
  TV.

  Running PC to locate the cursor at the desired location of the
  display followed by a non-interactive IMGPROBE invocation
  (i.e., by specifying the MODE=N keyword sequence on the IMGPROBE
  command line) may be useful in your work (of course, it might
  not be).

  Just wanted to let you know about the possibility...

Ticket ID: CRZ-518318
Department: Support McIDAS