[McIDAS #TPA-182583]: Radar traversal using polar coord.

Hi John,

re:
> I am currently working on a project that requires me to use radial velocity
> data from radars to calculate a few parameters. Due to the volume of radar
> data that needs to be processed, this must be automated by a script. My
> question concerns the way that I can use IMGPROBE to traverse these images to
> obtain the radial velocity values. From what I can see, there is no way to
> move from the radar outwards along one radial. The closest option appears to
> be LINE, but this process cannot be automated and is not necessarily along one
> radial. Is there something that you can suggest doing to collect the radial
> velocity values along one constant radial direction? Ultimately this will be
> done along multiple azimuth angles, so being able to traverse the image with
> polar coordinates would be very useful.

The ADDE server for NEXRAD Level III products (e.g., radial velocity, etc.)
first rasterizes the product before serving it to applications (like IDV,
McIDAS-V and McIDAS-X).  Given this, getting the original radial data is
not available to the end user.  One could, I guess, drive the IMGPROBE
interrogation along conceptual radials and get data values that way, but
it would not result in the exact same data as interrogation from original
radials.

Would values from a pseudo-radial be sufficient for your purposes?

Ticket ID: TPA-182583
Department: Support McIDAS