[McIDAS #ZXX-621494]: New Research Approach

Hi Rod,

re:
> Are you saying for the following procedures plus my commentary.
>
> - Use IMGCOPY to create an image that contains your area of interest
>   from an Effective Radius image
>
> - Use IMGCOPY to create a second copy of the image just created
>
> - Use IMGREMAP to remap the IR image into the copy just created
>
> - Use IMGCHA to change the output image's header information
>
> - Use IMGFILT to combine the two images
>
> - Use IMGDISP to display the combined image
>
> - Use IMGPROBE to list out values from the image displayed
>
> - Use DIST to draw a circle on top of the image

> Batch File Code:
>
> IMGCOPY LOC/AREAS.3003 LOC/AREAS.3103 SIZE=SAME

This would appear to be a third step in a reworked BATCH file,
not the first step.

The first thing I would do is create a new image that covered just
the region of interest in one of your input images.  By input images
I mean either the Effective Radius image or the IR image.

After determining the region of interest, use IMGCOPY to create
a new image that is just that region.

An example of this would be:

IMGCOPY G13/IR27APR11 LOC/AREAS.3003 TIME=20:25 LAT=30:00 86:30 SIZE=320 320

if you want to use the IR image to set the region or:

IMGCOPY G13/ERAD27APR11 LOC/AREAS.3003 TIME=20:25 LAT=30:00 86:30 SIZE=320 320

if you want to use the Effective Radius image to set the region.

You will need to play with the center Lat,Lon specified in the LAT= keyword
and size specified in the SIZE= keyword to get the region that you want.

After that, make a copy of the image just created just like you included:

IMGCOPY LOC/AREAS.3003 LOC/AREAS.3103 SIZE=SAME

re:
> IMGREMAP G13/IR27APR11 LOC/AREAS.3103 TIME=20:25

Yes, remap the image other than the one you used to create the region of
interest.

re:
> IMGCHA LOC/AREAS.3103 BAND=4 SS=180 STYPE=VISR

Yes if you use G13/IR27APR11 in the IMGREMAP.

re:
> IMGFILT LOC/AREAS.3003 LOC/AREAS.3103 LOC/AREAS.3203 FILTER=MERGE 185 255 0

OK

re:
> IMGPROBE STAT BOX OUTLINE=YES BAND=4 EXCLUDE= 234-320

You will need to either first display the image to be probed using IMGDISP
or tell IMGPROBE the image to interrogate by specifying DATASET=LOC/AREAS.3203
(assuming you want to probe the image in LOC/AREAS.3203).

re:
> do I need to add
> SPACE MODE=N?

MODE=N tells IMGPROBE that you do not want to do the probes interactively.
If you specify this keyword, then you will need to position the mouse cursor
to a point you are interested in before running IMGPROBE.

re:
> This is filter out the IR Image for Temperature values
> greater than 233 K.

Yes, the EXCLUDE= keyword says what range of values to exclude from
the statistics calculation.

re:
> Couple of questions I dont see how this would produce a third image of
> the filtered image from Image 1(IR) and Image 2 (Effective-Radius).

Your listing of the commands in a new BATCH file left out the creation
of the first of three images.

re:
> just dont understand what Bob is saying with FILT=DIS command to
> discriminate the first as the second?

FILT=DIS is not a command, it is a keyword for the IMGFILT command
(just like the MERGE= keyword is in the example BATCH file I wrote
for you).

re:
> Also is there a way I can draw a box from specified latitude and
> longitude?

Yes, include OUTLINE=YES in your IMGPROBE invocation.

re:
> For example I know the four corners lat/lon of where to
> capture the particular storm of interest.

See the built in HELP for IMGPROBE for more information (HELP IMGPROBE).

re:
> I want to basically show effective radius as 0s for IR temps above 233 K.

I am not sure I understand this comment.   Do you mean not include certain
effective radius values in statistics calculations?  Or, do you mean
something else?

Ticket ID: ZXX-621494
Department: Support McIDAS