[McIDAS #ZXX-621494]: New Research Approach

Hi Rod,

re:
> I talked to Bob Rabin and he told me an idea that I think may work but
> not 100% sure.
>
> He stated that I can use IMAGE 1 (IR) and IMAGE 2 (EFF. Radius) and
> create a third image using IMGFILT. And use FILT=DIS????

Yes, IMGFILT can be used to combine two images.  IMGFILT is being
used in the EFFRAD4.BAT BATCH file with the MERGE option currently:

IMGFILT LOC/AREAS.3000 LOC/AREAS.3100 LOC/AREAS.3200 FILTER=MERGE 185 255 0

Depending on the DISC values specified, the result will be exactly the
same as IMGDISP MERGE= invocation in EFFRAD4.BAT.

re:
> Of course, I
> have to make sure I am using the same lines and dimensions for the IR
> Image on the EFFECTIVE RADIUS image.

Yes.  That is why there are IMGREMAP invocations in EFFRAD4.BAT -- they
not only re-project the source images into a rectilinear (Lat,Lon)
projection, they set the output size of the re-projected images to
the same thing so that operations like IMGFILT can be run on them.

re:
> Now apparently I cant use the
> temperatures that I created in AXFORM so I have to use Brightness
> count to eventually convert to the equations that Dan Lindsey used to
> convert to temperatures.

You can/could use the TEMPerature values listed by AXFORM for the
remapped IR image.  As was demonstrated earlier, AXFORM can not
output TEMPerature values for the Effective Radius images since
there is nothing in those images that describe how to map BRIT
to TEMP.  If Dan provided you with such a mapping, then calibration
can be added to the images (original and remapped) so that TEMPerature
values could be output by AXFORM.

re:
> Then somehow I can some how draw a box on
> MCIDAS which may be a square and find a mean value inside that box. I
> am supposed to use IMGPROBE and DIST command?

You can use IMGPROBE STAT ... to list out statistics for pixels inside
of a BOX. IMGPROBE can also be told to draw the box that represents the
coverage desired on top of the displayed image.  DIST does not do any
statistics so it can not be used to extract values.  It can, however,
calculate distances between pixels, and draw circles centered on
points.

re:
> I then have to use a
> command to get a distance once I put the cursor at the center of the
> storm.

That is what DIST is for.

re:
> I then have to use DIST command to draw the radius of the
> circle. The size of the box maybe an ellipse.

The "circle" drawn may not look like a circle when viewed since
it is drawn in the projection of the image.  If you use DIST on
one of the IMGREMAP remapped images created by EFFRAD4.BAT, then
it should look circular.  If you use DIST on one of the original
images it will look more like an oval than a circle since the
circle will be drawn in the satellite's projection.

re:
> Apparently I  can get
> the max and min value and standard deviation and also the histogram of
> values.

Yes, using IMGPROBE STAT.  Please review the HELP for IMGPROBE.

re:
> Does that make sense of the idea I have to do to approach
> this?

Yes.  My question to you is what the values will then be used for?

re:
> This is apparently an easier way to do this.

An easier way to do what?

re:
> Let me know if you are confused.

Nope.  The first things you outlined in this email are things that
are already being done in EFFRAD4.BAT.  Perhaps Bob is suggesting
to not remap into a rectilinear projection first?  If yes, then
the procedure would be:

- Use IMGCOPY to create an image that contains your area of interest
  from an Effective Radius image

- Use IMGCOPY to create a second copy of the image just created

- Use IMGREMAP to remap the IR image into the copy just created

- Use IMGCHA to change the output image's header information

- Use IMGFILT to combine the two images

- Use IMGDISP to display the combined image

- Use IMGPROBE to list out values from the image displayed

- Use DIST to draw a circle on top of the image

  It strikes me that this is not necessary since IMPROBE can
  be told to draw the BOX for the area the STATistics are
  calculated for

The flow of the sequence above is very much the same as what is
already in EFFRAD4.BAT.  All you have to do is change a couple
of steps to produce what you want (in a new BATCH file, don't
overwrite the existing one).

Ticket ID: ZXX-621494
Department: Support McIDAS